Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Two Sports

Sorry, nonexistent readers, that I haven't written in a few days. I've been busy playing John Madden 2004 football. I love football for its violence, its desire to hurt the opponent, for I am short and can't hurt many people without a blunt object or an ill-chosen word. I love football for its appeal to cheerleaders and gapers. The big dumb football player is the norm, but this man courageously ignores physical problems that would send any sensible person into a wild panic, a permanent hypochondria.

Football cannot compare to baseball. Baseball is the game of inactivity. It is the only sport in which the pauses outlast the action. This leaves the fan to contemplate himself, his relationship with the sport, history, or simply the validity of what Steve Stone is saying. It draws out the joy and agony, which I think is what we are all looking for in a short life punctuated with scarcely few moments of true meaning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home