Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Monday, June 22, 2009

Thoughts on cats

You either identify with a cat's aloofness or you don't. In high school, my phriend Phran used to say that cats are so human, soooooo human, sooooooooooo human. God I hated that. She also used to say that if I had longer hair, she'd be all over me. Yet I never considered growing my hair out. I guess having a mustachioed Korean girlfriend anxious only to defy her parents didn't quite appeal. Now, though, it sounds pretty good, provided she's not attached to the mustache nor it to her.

I'd like to get a cat. I suppose I'll need to get a cat. I have serious reservations. A single man should not have a cat, unless it's a real badass cat or it's a remnant of a previous (human) relationship. Why? A man with a cat gives me pause, claws. I've trained myself to suspend judgment, but between you, me, and the lamppost, there's something unmanly about owning a cat, a cat owning you.

It's probably easiest just to reject binary gender. It's something I've been wanting to do, and besides mythologists, who needs it?

5 Comments:

Blogger dogimo said...

Literally last night I was talking to a friend about this. We both observed that for some reason, it's usually the girl's job to bring the cat to the relationship.

I don't think it's necessarily that to have a cat is unmanly, I think it's more just that it's not your responsibility.

12:51 AM  
Blogger John Dantzer said...

Yeah, Koreans are hot. And you can always wax a mustache.

Why would you even want a cat?: To help you get in touch with your feminine side. To pick up chicks: "Hey baby, check out my cat." And the cat meows, and it's pretty freaking adorable.

2:41 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

dogimo, jorg, yeah, it's probably practice for mommyhood. I'd definitely have to get a man-cat. But I think I could learn something from watching a sly little carnivore prowl around.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Peau said...

you could get a panther

8:17 AM  
Blogger JMH said...

I'm thinking more along the lines of cougar.

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home