Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Monday, May 11, 2009

Voice

Thousands, probably tens of thousands, have the same basic voice as me, taking into account language and upbringing. I embrace the similarities. We with the same (spoken, written) voices share something important, and we can understand each other more quickly, more deeply in less time. I speak like I write, but with more, uh, vocalized pauses and shit.

That's not the point though.

The other day at the restaurant, a waitress brought us a cheese pizza. I have never heard a voice like hers. She must struggle with being defined by it, as only a couple hundred people in the world sound like her. Her bearing was standard professional, but her voice was really beyond description, maybe a morphine-filled needle in the ear? Terrifying, then (pop!) excruciating, then warm, then numb euphoria? No, not quite, not quite at all.

Sexy? Sexy like the universe. I am attracted to things that are beyond description because I can be arrogant and cold with words, and the indescribable pushes me beyond that and forces humility. In the right light, moon or sun, nearly anything can be beyond words, although it's usually an unusual woman.
---

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Crys said...

last line? perfection.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Bluesilk said...

I guess I like the written 'voices' of people who are not like me because they look at the same objects and let light glance off them in a way I never have or could. Possibilities for interpretation are...exciting

3:53 AM  
Blogger amadea's world said...

Beautifully written.
I like my voice better when I speak English. It is softer than German. But - I do not talk as I write as we have a dialect here.
British people never know where I am from. They often think from Scandinavia. As Austrian-German sounds different from German-German. Sounds confusing?

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home