Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Thursday, December 15, 2011

A Morning in Kindergarden

There are deep dark circles under my eyes. My hair is clean but uncombed. My voice reverberates around my hollow insides.

It's Bunny Day. The children hop around the room. They can wiggle their noses, but are not allowed to speak.

The notion of jumping or hopping is intolerable. So is the fluorescent light. So is everything but the children and the teacher. She is innocent like them. The snack is baby carrots.

The teacher offers me a paper cup of apple juice. I take it and wait. I don't know why I'm here. I might as well learn something.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kono said...

Are you short? i was just wondering, seeing that you refer to yourself as Sprout, or maybe Sprout is a fictitious character, don't know, them was some good drugs.

9:10 AM  
Blogger sybil law said...

Oh you'll learn all kinds of things in kindergarten. I learned to take Advil before AND after (as an adult, of course). :)
Actually, I stopped my volunteering in the kindergarten. It was equal parts fun, sad and annoying. The two cons outweighed the one pro.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Faye of Bags Under Eyes said...

Indeed a very good read! Very informative post with pretty good insight on all aspects of the
topic! Will keep visiting in future too!

10:33 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

Kono - I'm totally short. I feel pretty okay about it, though. I don't get into fights.

sybil - If only education ended with kindergarden, or rather, continued with the principles of kindergarden coupled with higher and higher ideas. There was a book about that, but who wants to read a book when it can summarized in a comment response?

FBUE: I'm glad you think that. Keep visiting in the future too!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Rassles said...

Faye wants you so hard.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Without Shadow said...

Absolutely agree with your note to sybil .. and as to who wants to read the book .. I do!! What's it called? Who's it by?

Do visit South India some time. You will feel deliciously tall. I do, and I'm only 5 ft 2.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Kerri Anne said...

I have a soft spot for baby carrots. And not just because that's what I call my (not so) baby (anymore) sister.

6:09 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

R - You know it.

NT - Let me do some research.

KA - Steamed baby carrots have a soft spot for me

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home