Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Friday, August 03, 2007

Researching Sex Kitten

I was searching the internet for the origin of the phrase "sex kitten," but I couldn't uncover any satisfactory answers, that is, until I turned SafeSearch off. The result of that was only momentarily satisfactory (and how!), but did not fill the yawning void in my soul like Chicken Kiev does. I digress. My point is that kittens are many things: fuzzy, cute, playful, mischievous, disproportionate -- but not sexy.

Upon reviewing those adjectives, with the possible exception of the last one, I have decided that "sex kitten" must have initially, in conversation, referred to a part of the female anatomy (e.g. "She can shoot ping-pong balls out of her sex kitten" -- sorry, that's sex cannon -- let me try again: "The homeless lady, lacking undergarments, fashioned a pair out of a brown paper bag to keep her sex kitten concealed and amused."). This reference, as it was, must have been deemed too threatening to the male establishment (female genitals cannot be given sentience, even that of a baby cat), and so they modified the expression as so: attractive, sensual woman = pussy.

But if any of you want to do some research (or, especially, crude speculation) on the topic, let me know what you find out in the comments section.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sex kitten = pussy
GENIUS.
I think the first time it was applied was to Ann-Margret, although I can't be sure. I think it was because she was major sexy but yet acted kittenish, coy, unavailable, unattainable, like kittens.

I have no idea what I'm talking about. Can you tell?

LOVE Chicago.

10:25 PM  
Blogger robkroese said...

So... you're not actually supposed to use kittens during sex?

12:49 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

Looks like Answers.com doesn't even have the answer.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am relieved to see I am not the only person who has wrestled with this oxymoron of sorts. I recently rescued a kitten. Not sexy. There is a feline-ization of woman that is done, "cougar' and when women dress up as cats for Halloween, wearing leopard prints is supposed to be sexy, but WHY?

My research turned up less than satisfying.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Scot said...

Actually the phrase "sex kitten" -- meaning a young, sexually desirable woman who plays up her sex appeal in a flirtatious, teasing manner -- was first used in 1958 to describe the French actress Brigitte Bardot. She was the original -- although you could say that Ann-Margret defined the term for all time.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home