Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Monday, September 17, 2007

Basic Journalism (the anatomy of a joke)*

Who?

I.

What?

Make you laugh -- by offering a set-up in a linguistic frame around a situation, which forces your mind into a specific way of seeing the world. Then comes the punchline, which utilizes a different frame that makes you realize the way you had been understanding the meaning of the set-up was wrong.

When?

In the moment when your mind is trying to reconcile competing ways of seeing the world.

Where?

In the deep electrochemical recesses of your brain.

Why?

Because I want to get laid.

---

*I stole most of this post's content from this post at Philosopher's Playground.

---

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Grundir the Implacable said...

My master Diesel refers to this as resolving tension in an unexpected way. I think he also does it to get laid.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Comedism brings you these fifteen...oy...these ten commandments. Commandment #1 -- Thou shalt not steal...unless it's a really good line. Honored by your acquisition, my friend.

That said, your "why" is not quite so dependable...at least in my experience...or lack thereof (sigh). No wonder I have so much time to blog.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home