Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Downstairs Neighbors Drama

In my apartment, the floors do not insulate sound.

They're at a bar. He's ready to go. She orders another drink and twirls her hair and chats with a group of strange men. They look at her. He stands apart, drinkless.

"She knew I was ready to go," he thinks.

At home later he won't talk to her, as if he's ashamed of her. He doesn't want to touch her. Though she pretties herself for hours, she feels unattractive, unable to use the reward of sex to shape his actions. Without that, she feels powerless. It's been five months since he went down on her. He doesn't seem to care.

Now he plays Xbox in the entertainment room, laughing and killing, and she listens to Garth Brooks in the kitchen. She knocks on the door to tell him she's going to bed. He tells her to leave him alone. He yells at her to leave him alone.

Much later she goes back to Wisconsin. Cheese is better than that man. Hell, butter is.

12 Comments:

Blogger sybil law said...

Your neighbors sound... fun. Okay, interesting. Okay - dull.
Haha
:)

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Asylum Dolly said...

My upstairs neighbour is a BITCH. I call her "Monty" because she looks and acts like a female version of Mr.Burns from The Simpsons. But enough of that.
I think I've felt like that woman before...but then I've probably acted like that man before too... O.o

5:17 PM  
Blogger Peau said...

well fuck.

5:39 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

Sybil - dull, except for the outdoor screaming matches at four in the morning. I don't know why you'd need to go outdoors to do that.

Bon - I wonder if your neighbor has a lesbian gerophile cat named Smithers.

Peau - I think you missed an apostrophe.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Kono said...

I wouldn't go down on a woman who listens to Garth Brooks either. Listen to Merle Haggard and she get licked til her face is numb.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Asylum Dolly said...

I think she may have at one stage...but the other day i heard her singing "see my vest, see my vest"....

6:54 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

Kono - Point! But each to his own tastes.

Bon - I have no idea what that means.

2:21 AM  
Blogger John Dantzer said...

THis is great, but not for them. And not for you, really, either, except for your mind, and your hands.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Asylum Dolly said...

Well that kinda ruined the effect.

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Burns was growing puppy dawgs to turn into furry vests for himself. He demonstrated his wardrobe made of animal parts with a catchy song: "See my vest".

4:49 AM  
Blogger JMH said...

jorg - I agree.

Bon - I remember that one now. Sorry to make you explain the joke to me. I could have just Googled.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It concerns me that I live in Wisconsin....and piss off those who want to leave early.

9:53 AM  
Blogger JMH said...

It should concern you, unless the women your husband hangs around with are mostly nuns.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home