Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Young Poem

I was digging through the big black plastic container where I throw all my old writing and garbage writing and scraps of paper with incomprehensible ideas -- I think of it as composting -- and in a folder whose cover features a white seal holding the Earth between its paws and another white seal peering cutely outward, both beneath the aurora borealis, I came across this poem, which is dated 1997 (putting me at 17 or 18):

Ladies

The ladies want a big meaty man:
Bold, juicy, and flavorful.
He should strut about and boast of his protein content
So people will ignore his saturated fat.
Call me rice pilaf.

I laughed.
---

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger sybil law said...

That is frigging awesome. :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger Rassles said...

So, Mr. Pilaf, regarding the folder: did someone have a serious boner for the earth, or a serious boner for a girl who had a ladyboner for the earth?

1:48 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

sybil - frigging thanks.

Rassles - Though I loved the Earth, I was not in love with the Earth. Or was I? The warm feel of topsoil beneath my body, the lines of a pure winter landscape, the sensual whisper of leaves on trees in forests only for me...no, not that. The ladyboner thing.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Asylum Dolly said...

That's actually pretty fucking cool.The poems i wrote at that age were cliched angsty affairs.I wish i could find them though- they would be funny. Actually mt stories from much younger days would be more fun to have- but mum threw most of them away (very sentimental woman O.o).
Did you find any more?

9:01 AM  
Blogger John Dantzer said...

I like your idea about composting. Make sure to add some worms. Good poem! Rice pilaf is healthy.

3:44 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

Bon - oh did I...but the one I posted was the only one that didn't make me cringe.

Let me quote sections of others: "Desire causes such sweet melancholy/That false hope of continuity/Fills the ensuing void." Ha! I was deep.

Or..."There is a piece of me missing/That aches to be found./There is a hole deep inside/That yearns to be filled." Yeah, I got your hole right here buddy.

jorg - I tried the worms once, but all my writing was suddenly filled with S's. S's? Esses? S'?

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Asylum Dolly said...

hehehehe.
I'm surprised your teenage self didn't see the implications of "hole that yearns to be filled". Maybe our sense of humour gets dirtier with age?

9:09 AM  
Blogger dogimo said...

Great poem! And true.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home