Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Thursday, January 20, 2011

An Encounter in Business Correspondence

She seals her letters with a shiny red heart peeled from a sheet of shiny red hearts. Maybe there are blue hearts also. No, there are never blue hearts. You can't buy those. My name and address float in bubble letters. In autumn, leaves fall across the back of the envelope and in winter, snowflakes, all similar but none the same.

In discussing Law, she spells perjury as if a cat lied under oath. Perhaps it denied walking on the kitchen counter or spitting up a hairball in the back of the closet or sitting on your face while you sleep. There is no honesty in those yellow eyes.

I imagine she smiles so simply. Girlish. I wonder how she survives in this mean city, in what corners of life her personality flourishes.
---

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger sybil law said...

As long as she doesn't dot her "i" with hearts. My mother -in -law does this. Might've been cute when she was, say, 13, but now it's just obnoxious.
:)

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Miss Ash said...

Damn, no hearts over "i"s? Sad face.

9:38 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

There really ought to be a keyboard shortcut for hearts over i's. Maybe there is. Maybe I haven't been consulting nineyearoldgirl.com. I hope that's not a site, and if it is, I hope that it's not run by a middle-aged man.

12:25 AM  
Blogger John Dantzer said...

Blue heart would mean death. No one is happy about death, except for me. I have a warehouse full of sticky blue hearts. I'm going bankrupt. Please help. :)

2:54 AM  
Blogger Rassles said...

Sometimes I put secrets on business envelopes in invisible ink.

12:42 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

jorg - yes.

Rassles - that's the way to do it.

12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home