Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Problem/Solution/Com- plication

Problem: The structure of contemporary American society is such that things that are culturally male and culturally white are, by the nature of the system itself, given higher value than those things that are not male and not white. I am a white male, and it is sometimes difficult for me to personally identify with the struggle of those who the system oppresses.

Solution: I am short. I would contend that society has an inherent structural bias against the short (I have no sources other than remembering reading something that men over six feet five earn significantly more than their shorter counterparts). But this allows me to join the fight, to fight the tall, to ally myself with the feminists, the anti-racists, and all those groups who refuse to accept the cruelty of the system that through its very existence diminishes their value as human beings. There can be no true equality until we are all equal. I will do my part to make the short taller by making the tall shorter.

Complication: I don't know what to do with all these shins and feet I've removed from the sleeping tall. My freezer is full. It seems a shame to throw them out.

---

I can't take credit for these ideas. Please see Maggie Jochild's post, Morning Manifesto. And of course, the fight is against the system and the thought processes that perpetuate it, not particular people within the system. Unfortunately, the joke doesn't work without amputations.

---

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Asylum Dolly said...

Wow, i don't know where to begin! (maybe i shouldn't at all, haha).
It is incredibly refreshing to click on such a link from the bloggy of a man. As a woman with "feminist tendancies" it is awesome to know that there are indeed men out there who don't consider the desire to be treated as EQUAL as some kind of ball cruching radical notion. Some wonder why we get so angry, but it is enfuriating to constantly have your worth as a person judged by wether or not you give guys a boner when you walk past them. (that's simplifying it somewhat, but it is pretty much what it feels like to be a woman a lot of the time ).It's the year 2010 for fucks sake!
I even dislike the word "feminist" though.I prefer to call myself an "equalist" As the mentality of sexism is pretty much coming from the same place as racism. It's saying: " you are a woman- you must go here- YOU are black, so you must stay HERE- everybody in their places now, and don't you dare not adhere to the stereotypes i've mapped out for you to live by.If you refuse these orders it will prove that you may actually be an individual with your own mind, and that scares the crap out of me. FREAK!" I HATE IT! Grr. Liberation should be a basic human right. It's fucked that it even needs to be fought for, and against such violent opposition.

Anyway, i won't yak on about it as i will only get pissed off and start one of my "i hate society" rants, and i lack the vocabulary to express myself properly.(Unlike the woman who wrote that article back there.I'd hate to have an argument with her! I'd be fucked. )

On a lighter note: Complication = awesome. I too have body parts in my fridge! I won't go into my own particular reasons for this, but yes, it does seem a waste to throw them out. Maybe the limbs could be disguised as avante garde jewellery and sold to lady gaga for a generous sum. She's such a publicity whore that the fact that the jewellery is made of people will probably be a great selling point.

6:02 AM  
Blogger sybil law said...

I always wondered if they would come out with some operation for short people, to make them taller (I am under 5'4") - maybe your stash of limbs can help!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Rassles said...

Ah, but your actions imply you are anti-tall. EQUALITY FOR HEIGHTS ACROSS THE SPECTRUM OF MEASUREMENT, I say.

4:48 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

Bon - I like the long comments. I think I agree with you on all of the points, and I'm getting ready to ship the cold-packed limbs to Lady Gaga this afternoon. I'll give her the first ones for free, just like crack.

sybil - I wonder if my insurance would cover that.

Rassles - I think my actions would imply that I'm a psychopath. But, yeah, all that for a punchline that really does not adhere to the political spirit of the set-up. Oh well.

12:11 PM  
Blogger John Dantzer said...

Nothing says hello like a half frozen tall mans leg.
Perfect for any occasion.

4:24 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

I'll have to go on a date this weekend just to see how that works.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home