Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Baskin Robbins

My mind is full of caramel, my thoughts sweet and slow. I got a bit of swagger, sure. I'm in no hurry. I stroll down the case and smile at all the flavors. There's a lady behind me who's going to want a lick of my ice cream. She's wearing sweatpants. Nice.

All those flavors sit in the cold. They don't really know me yet. My spoon is going to burn hot and slow, and make that ice cream wait until it can't stand it anymore. It's going to be a puddle by the time I'm done with it.

I'll sweeten its life with toppings. How many scoops? How many scoops can I eat? I hope four, but I don't expect it. But I'm ready. Damn am I ready to order.

9 Comments:

Blogger dogimo said...

For the sake of Life, Love, Reason, Purpose, Order and indeed: The Lord,

YES.

This is not "exactly what it's like." It's not a photograph, not mere mimesis. This is WHAT IT IS.

You, sir, are 31 flavors and then some.

10:46 PM  
Blogger dogimo said...

(you know, you can't go wrong with Very Berry Strawberry.)

10:46 PM  
Blogger sybil law said...

GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH now I want ice cream. :(

6:48 PM  
Blogger John Dantzer said...

This isn't about ice cream is it? Blasphemer.

8:46 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

dogimo - Thanks. I like ice cream. I like strawberry ice cream almost the best, but I won't admit that in certain circles. Prejudice against pink, you see. And I always like a comment with a vocab word.

sybil - such are the perils of this life.

jorg - It's fun to make the reader fill in the blanks. And less work for me.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember reading that famous short story "The A & P" in high school. It was the first (and only) time that I heard a woman's breasts described as two perfect scoops of vanilla ice cream. I was shocked and yet wanted to hear more of this authors descriptions (I had a sheltered existence until I moved to Paris).

You have your way with that ice cream.

1:33 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

D'Arcy - I will have my way with that ice cream. Vanilla (in two scoops) is certainly in contention for my favorite flavor.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Ms O said...

I would very much like to use this post in class(es) next school year; great examples of sensory language. Thank you for this. :)

2:32 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

OK. Use anything you want. I like to be a good influence on the youth.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home