Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Friday, September 24, 2010

Advice from an old notebook

Actually the notebook is less than a year old, and this entry was probably written in late Spring. I found it yesterday under the lava lamp. I guess I was trying to infuse it with the primeval and then forgot. But Spring feels long ago. It's chilly, and I'm wearing a fleece.

Write as if it's the last thing you will ever write, but do not use your own blood unless you have to. Do not disparage passion with cool -- cool becomes cold. Bust up the status quo. It's yellow. It's cowardice. Exit in a burst of stars.

It's okay to mourn the past, but impossible to re-create it, except through a bit of food and a song. Live your present moment and try to improve the future for those you care about. Do this through writing.

Good advice. Why not become a crazy person, or at least stop concealing it?

7 Comments:

Blogger sybil law said...

Ha! I don't think it's crazy, actually. :)
(Then again, I'm pretty nutty, myself...)

8:52 AM  
Blogger John Dantzer said...

The lava lamp probably had more to do with this advice than is apparent.

2:30 PM  
Blogger JMH said...

sybil - the things I think are crazy others often don't, and the things I think are not others often do.

jorg - true, very true.

12:16 AM  
Blogger Kono said...

i do not understand crazy basically because i am a bastion of normalcy.

11:09 AM  
Blogger JMH said...

It does seem like your vision of the normal is vast.

8:28 PM  
Anonymous nothingprofound said...

Passionately written. When you talk to yourself, you give yourself very good advice.

9:07 AM  
Blogger JMH said...

Sometimes, not always.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home